Saturday, September 1, 2012

Leather Jacket

I love leather, feathers, spikes, sequins and everything else fabulous, so I have always wanted to own a great leather jacket. But leather is expensive and a new, real leather jacket is near impossible to find under several hundred dollars. And real leather is expensive to buy. But I did notice that real leather jackets go for only $20 at thrift stores, so I decided to get a vintage leather jacket and take it apart for the leather. I bought an extra large one for the extra fabric, bought a new jacket pattern, and matched the pieces with the pattern. I had to make a few alterations to account for pieces that wouldn't match the pattern. I added extra seams to follow the symmetry of the lines of the pattern and account for pieces that were too small. I also had to add four panels of black fabric under the arms and along the sides to make up for the lack of large pieces of fabric.

I'm still working on putting in the lining, the arms, the collar and the zipper, but here's what I've got so far. I am loving how it is turning out so I am really excited to get to wear my coat and start working on my next project. I have another coat I'm thinking of turning into a leather skirt or possibly a moto vest. I'll keep you posted.




2 comments:

  1. Absolutely love this design, especially the front of the jacket. What a wonderful idea taking apart other leather jackets/coats and designing your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How creative you are Stina! Great idea...re-purposing a thrift store jacket into something nobody else has, making it new again and completely your own! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete