Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Rapunzel

My friend Kasey works for a company that does dress up entertainment for children's parties, so she wanted a Rapunzel dress to go with the Disney movie that came out recently. Since I couldn't find a pattern that exactly matched the dress from the movie, I used a pattern for a renaissance dress and took in the fullness and length of the skirt to make it more youthful and airy like the movie. I also altered the sleeves to include a puff cap sleeve and a sheer 3/4 length sleeve that has lace detailing and painted on detail. To make the painted detail I cut out pieces of stenciling and painted the fabric with lavender and purple fabric paint with a clear sparkle fabric paint over it. I also altered the back bodice of the dress to include a sheer panel on the back and button detailing.

It took several several months to take on this specific and detailed of a dress. It is by far the most difficult outfit I've made so far. However, I am so proud of the finished product. This is the most accurate replica of the dress I have seen so far and although my craftsmanship is not yet up to the perfection I'm striving for,  I am very happy with what I've produced so far. I'll also have another photo shoot of Kasey in her dress to come soon!

 Here's a view of the sheer paneling in the back.


The hem of the dress was finished with a lace trim sewn on the lining.


Close up of the sheer 3/4 length sleeve with painted detailing.


I loved the puff cap sleeves with a ribbon overlay.



No comments:

Post a Comment